2023-10-20 BC

It sure looks like COVID-19 levels peaked and are heading down. Why? Beats me. Health Care System This article says that 48% of BC health care aid workers want to quit. Other Viruses I hear people say, “oh, it’s not COVID, it’s just a cold”? Check out the proportion of COVID in the BC CDC’s… Continue reading 2023-10-20 BC

2023-10-13 BC

Everything: cases, hospitalizations, wastewater — says that cases have peaked and are on the downswing. (Probably because school started. /sarcasm.) I find it odd that hospitalizations and cases peaked at the same time. Usually hospitalizations lag cases by two weeks. I don’t think it’s from the vax rollout — you could imagine that care homes… Continue reading 2023-10-13 BC

2023-09-08 BC

COVID-19 cases are increasing, by pretty much every measure. Statistics As of Sept 7, the BC CDC situation report says that in the week ending on 2 Sept there were: +447 reported cases, +119 hospital admissions, +17 ICU admissions, +12 thirty-day all-cause deaths*. In the week ending 26 Aug, there were: +366 reported cases, +136… Continue reading 2023-09-08 BC

2023-02-16 BC

Health Care System This article says that BC is shutting down its four in-person Long COVID clinics and moving exclusively to telehealth. I actually think that’s a good idea — it’s hard to get yourself to a clinic, especially if the clinic is in a part of the province you don’t live in. (Three of… Continue reading 2023-02-16 BC

2023-01-05 BC

Pub Health Advice This tweet thread says that the BC CDC web site changed from masking being a personal choice, to “Public health recommends wearing masks in all public indoor spaces”, back to personal choice, all in the space of not very much time. Hmmm. Sounds like there is some internal politics going on there.… Continue reading 2023-01-05 BC

week ending 2022-12-02 BC

This is a day late because the province didn’t have numbers ready yesterday. Response Today, the province released the COVID-19 Lessons Learned Review. I have not reviewed it yet. Mitigation Measures The province announced that they are going to make it easier for foreign-trained doctors to work in BC. Transmission This article says there is… Continue reading week ending 2022-12-02 BC

2022-07-01 BC tiny

Happy Canada Day! Charts COVID-19 levels in wastewater, from my buddy Jeff: Variant chart from the BC CDC variants page:

2021-11-30 BC

Press Briefing There was a lot today. Variants The province has a robust whole-genome sequencing (WGS) program. For a while, they were doing WGS on every single case. When the case counts went up, they decreased, but they still do every single case for one week for month, and samples in the other weeks. They… Continue reading 2021-11-30 BC

2021-08-20 BC

Press Briefing The biggest news from today’s snap press briefing was that Interior Health has announced a new set of health-authority-wide restrictions to combat the rising case counts there. This supplements the previous orders which were only for the Central Okanagan. Also, everybody is asked to avoid non-essential travel into the Interior. The next biggest… Continue reading 2021-08-20 BC

2021-08-06 BC

Press Briefing The briefing focused on mitigation measures for the Central Okanagan, where 60% of the province’s cases are. I want to know what we’re doing about the OTHER 40%, but I guess I have to wait. Of course, everybody emphasized that everybody needs to get vaccinated. DrH said that this is driven mostly by… Continue reading 2021-08-06 BC